Sunday, January 31, 2010

I Accept This Mess

Hello, my name is Faith, and I am an organizational freak. I cannot claim to be a neat freak. Just one look at my office will tell you I'm not quite that, but I do like for everything to have its place and be in that place. I do not like seeing piles of mail or dishes or clothes where they do not belong. I am a firm believer in The Container Store, all organizational articles written in Real Simple magazine, and Martha Stewart's pantry would probably make me cry.

With that said, I am learning to accept the mess my house has currently become. We've been receiving boxes  from Internet orders as well as trying to get the nursery together, all topped with my inability to stay on my feet for long bouts and working my tail off to get projects finished. In the wake of all this mini-chaos, the house has become a little less than perfect.

The girls will be arriving soon, and I know that I will not have the time to load and unload the dishwasher, put away everything I use, or generally tidy up at the end of the day. So I'm looking at this current pre-baby mess as practice for the sure-to-be-bigger baby mess. I am trying to clean a little bit at a time, but it's not the kind of organized I like. And I must learn to get used to it.

I also have to get used to letting someone else do it. Oh, I'm that too--a control freak. I've been very good (I think) lately about letting Tim do more stuff without making comment. My mom and my brother came over and folded clothes and vacuumed. I kept my mouth shut except for the big thanks I gave them as they were leaving.

So, as I prepare for parenthood by reading baby books, buying baby things, and putting together the nursery, I'm also learning what messy is. And how it's OK...sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment