Monday, February 22, 2010

This is Definitely Not College

I have had times in my life where I haven't slept. As a teenager,  I remember a trip to Florida where I stayed up for 36 plus hours and ran on pure adrenaline and sugar. In college, I burned the midnight oil a lot while trying to finish projects or study for a test. I did the same in grad school nearing the end of the year when I was editing various projects.

But this isn't college. This is a whole new league of sleep deprivation. For all the parents out there. I didn't fully understand. Now I do. And I applaud all of you.

I don't know what deep sleep is anymore. I haven't had a dream in two weeks. I'm resting as much as I can when Lillie and Dani rest, but telling someone to "rest when the babies sleep" is soooo much easier said than done. At night, they're on a close schedule, but it still works out to about 45 minutes of power napping between three hour feedings. During the day, I relish in the quiet times. I may doze off on the couch, but I never take a real nap because I like the idea of just being awake and quiet.

In the book Twin Set, a poll was taken among parents of multiples asking when they finally got five solid hours of sleep. The highest percentage said after six months. The second highest said after one year. God, let my girls be overachievers. :)

I love these girls. I absolutely adore them. I've never felt this kind of overwhelming joy and pride and fear for another human being EVER. But right now, I want to sleep. Just one night. Please?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the arrival of the girls!!!

    They are gorgeous!

    Good Luck with getting sleep!

    ReplyDelete