Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Preschool Steam Room

Our holidays were filled with family, food, and gifts. It was also filled with ear infections, mucus, asthma attacks, and two trips to the ER. Lillie and Dani were on so much medicine over the holidays, we had to keep a chart on our kitchen board so I wouldn't forget who was taking what.

In an effort to help clear sinuses without medicine and without running up the water bill, I finally followed through with an idea I'd been throwing around for a good year. I was going to put together a mini steam room (or sweat lodge as I ended up calling it).

I wasn't sure if the girls would be all right stuck in a dark, warm space, but they didn't want to come out!

So if your kiddos are stuffed up, I'm going to show you how to do it so you can help them breathe better.

You'll need:
A kettle or pot in which to boil the water. 
Lavender essential oil (if you'd like. I did not use any.)
A large heat resistant bowl or pot, one large blanket (I used a full/queen.) and a throw blanket or big towel. 




A small tent. Ours is from Ikea, and it's perfectly sized for the girls.



A flashlight or lantern so they can see in the dark. Also, toys and/or books are helpful.




Now, for the instructions:
  • Put up the tent, and throw the large blanket over it. You want to make sure that you cover the entire tent. I definitely needed the blanket because this little tent has windows and a really horrible door. You may be using a tent without any openings that zips, but the blanket will keep all the steam inside better. Plus, your kids get to pretend they're in a cave!
  • Boil a full kettle of water.
  • Make a nest with your throw blanket and put the bowl in it. Leave enough blanket out so that you can cover the bowl.
  • Pour the boiling water into the bowl, add a drop or two of essential oil, and cover up the bowl.
  • Put the bowl in the tent and uncover it. Make sure all the sides stay covered by the blanket so no one gets burned!! 
  • Put your kids in the tent. Now, if you trust your kids not to touch the bowl, you can stay outside the tent. I sat on the couch and read while they hung out in the tent. But if you don't trust them, please get in the tent with your child! 
  • Give your kiddos the flashlight and toys and books. 
  • Lower the blanket and let them steam.




Notice that I left a little space at the bottom of the tent, but I ended up lowering the blanket to the floor because the girls wanted it to be completely dark while they "camped out." In the lower picture, you can see the blanket nest I made for the bowl of water. They did wonderfully and never touched it. They hung out in there for a good 30 minutes, and it stayed nice and warm and steamy. Both girls sinuses were cleared for the majority of the day. 

Lillie is an asthmatic, and I completely recommend this to help open up airways for easier breathing. You don't have to run the shower. You don't have to buy anything special (well, unless you don't have a tent already), and the kids still get to play!

If you do try it, please let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment